Quantcast
Channel: Sussex County
Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 2949

Man charged in sexual assault of 2 kids during burglary to remain jailed

$
0
0

Judge N. Peter Conforti said the defendant "presents a danger to others, toward the community, as well as he presents a risk in terms of appearing in court."

NEWTON -- A New York man facing up to life in prison if convicted of sexually assaulting two children during a home invasion in Wantage last month will remain jailed pending trial.

Craig Lassiter, 33, of Middletown, N.Y., appeared in Superior Court on Tuesday for a detention hearing.

Lassiter is charged with two counts of of first-degree aggravated sexual assault on a minor less than 13 years old, among other charges, stemming from the alleged home invasion Sept. 18.

N.J. toughened penalties in 2014 under the state's Jessica Lunsford Act, named for a 9-year-old Florida girl killed in 2005 by a convicted sex offender. Previously, those convicted of an aggravated sexual assault on a child was subject to prison sentences ranging from 10 to 20 years

In court Tuesday, Lassiter's attorney, Steven Insley, argued for his release, stating that he is a married father with long community ties in New York who poses no flight risk.

However, Judge N. Peter Conforti sided with Sussex County Assistant Prosecutor Laura Nazzaro, who asked for Lassiter to remain in jail.

"I have been clearly convinced that this defendant presents a danger to others, toward the community, as well as he presents a risk in terms of appearing in court," Conforti said.

Lassiter was arrested on Long Island, N.Y., on Sept 22, four days after the alleged home invasion.

According to a timeline provided by N.J. State Police, Lassiter allegedly went into a bedroom shared by two children during the night, told them he had a gun and sexually assaulted them.

It is not known whether he actually had a weapon, County First Assistant Prosecutor Greg Mueller said Tuesday, adding that the matter remains under investigation.

The children -- their gender is not being disclosed -- notified family members, who searched the house and discovered the front door was left open, State Police said.

Troopers from the Sussex station responded to the home at 2:07 a.m., after the homeowner called 9-1-1 to report the burglary, and said the suspect might still be inside.

Upon arriving, troopers attempted to pull over a Chevrolet Silverado with New York license plates driving away from the area.

However, the driver -- later identified as Lassiter -- allegedly swerved around the patrol vehicle, ran over a mailbox and sped away, State Police said. His vehicle was discovered abandoned in a field.

Lassiter was extradited to New Jersey on Sept. 29, seven days after being arrested on warrants for eluding and receiving stolen property. He remains in the Sussex County jail.

Numerous additional charges were filed Wednesday.

In addition to the two counts of first-degree aggravated sexual assault on a minor less than 13 years old, he is charged with two counts of first-degree aggravated sexual assault during the commission of a robbery and burglary, one count of first-degree robbery while threatening to use a deadly weapon, as well as multiple other offenses.

Details about the alleged home invasion were not disclosed until Sunday, prompted by a request from NJ Advance Media.

The arrest affidavit has been ordered sealed by a judge.

Under state law, the charges against Lassiter must be presented to a grand jury within 90 days.

Rob Jennings may be reached at rjennings@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @RobJenningsNJ. Find NJ.com on Facebook 


Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 2949


<script src="https://jsc.adskeeper.com/r/s/rssing.com.1596347.js" async> </script>